• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

OEM style spring wire radiator hose clamp location

hofilbert

Reaction score
I just bought some new radiator hoses and installed them. They have the nice Pentastar image and number stampings, so I'm changing things to be more factory correct look, including the spring wire OEM style hose clamps. Easy enough, so I thought.

I know those hose clamps didn't work so great, that's why the screw/band style is so popular. But I didn't have any leaks while sitting with engine off. When I fired it up, still no leaks. I went for a little few mile run and OMG when the heat and pressure built up I had big leaks at the top of the engine by the thermostat and lost a lot of fluid.

My clamp was a little crooked, not square on the pipe. So I fabricated a spring clamp tool from a channel lock pliers w/V-knotch cut along length (worked great by the way) and moved the wire clamp up to kiss underneath the engine block's hose pipe top "buldge."

Before I fill it with new fluid, is there some trick or clamp location or ? that will ensure I don't have leaks again? I'd like to stay with the OEM look if possible...otherwise I'll have to go back to using screw/band clamps.

moparlee

Reaction score
I have not had leakage issues with the spring type Corbin clamps. Make sure the hose is completely pushed onto the fitting and the clamp is lined up properly. I don't put the clamp right up close to the enlarged end. Also make sure you are using the proper size clamp.

Steve340

Reaction score
I have replaced all mine with screw style. They were OK for a while but gradually I started to get small water weeps. Got tired of always checking so I just replaced them.
I don't know of any right or wrong way to fit them other than "square" makes sense.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The corbin clamps are self tightening which is an advantage if it does seal

Back