• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power fluctuation

Big AL

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound dumb but here it goes... It's been a while and have notice that my light's all of them
have a Fluctuation effect while driving at night it's very noticeable they will dim as the car idles and was wondering if going with a higher Amp Alternator
will fix this problem ?.. Any suggestions would be very Appreciative.. Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Not really , it has more to do with the older voltage reg switching , what will make a difference though is using relays for the headlights

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
If your existing alternator can’t keep up with your total vehicle loads at idle, adding relays won’t change that. Assuming a somewhat stock system now, yes, the main reason to install a higher capacity alternator is to have more current available at Idle that the original spec alternator. Headlight relays will reduce voltage drop in the original headlight circuit and are a great improvement in lighting performance but only if the required power is available. You may want to have the current alternator load tested.

Need a more specific details, what is the actual voltage at idle? What is the ammeter registering at idle?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Also true if you have added extra electric circuits to the car , the highest rated alt in 70 was the 60 amp which should be enough for the original systems , I have often see the flickering at night with the heater & wipers all running at the same time . The Alt will not put out full power at idle but is putting out enough at higher rpm .
You could contact crackedback , he makes relay conversions Thoughts on adding a positive bus bar in Electrical & Audio , scroll down in the thread , the relay switches power directly from the battery to the headlights without going through the firewall twice & light switch.

Last edited:

Big AL

Reaction score
If your existing alternator can’t keep up with your total vehicle loads at idle, adding relays won’t change that. Assuming a somewhat stock system now, yes, the main reason to install a higher capacity alternator is to have more current available at Idle that the original spec alternator. Headlight relays will reduce voltage drop in the original headlight circuit and are a great improvement in lighting performance but only if the required power is available. You may want to have the current alternator load tested.

Need a more specific details, what is the actual voltage at idle? What is the ammeter registering at idle?
I'll have to have it checked out... Thanks.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Keep it simple to start. Belt good,adj.battery terminals clean? you say yes I say no. make the lead posts and terminals shine. I have seen cable corroded in only a few years,inside the cable. because the battery going bad. voltage regulator going bad will over charge the battery.a shorted cell will accrue from being over charger. exposed plates debris fall to bottom of battery,hence a weak battery. Ok now you are back to the voltage regulator that's probably bad. Now why did the voltage regulator go bad? It got a voltage spike from the alternator. Oh you ask why! One or all of the diodes are bad and sent an AC voltage spike to every thing!

voilà vwä-lä′ In for Penny in for a pound! simple I say ! easiest swap out the voltage regulator.if that doesn't work barrow an alternator. or take to an auto parts store and have it checked,and the battery it all works as one.Then you are back to the wires. About high amp alternator. DON'T DO IT. Study up on it!​

Last edited:

sir_veza

Reaction score
Keep it simple to start. Belt good,adj.battery terminals clean? you say yes I say no. make the lead posts and terminals shine. I have seen cable corroded in only a few years,inside the cable. because the battery going bad. voltage regulator going bad will over charge the battery.a shorted cell will accrue from being over charger. exposed plates debris fall to bottom of battery,hence a weak battery. Ok now you are back to the voltage regulator that's probably bad. Now why did the voltage regulator go bad? It got a voltage spike from the alternator. Oh you ask why! One or all of the diodes are bad and sent an AC voltage spike to every thing!

voilà vwä-lä′ In for Penny in for a pound! simple I say ! easiest swap out the voltage regulator.if that doesn't work barrow an alternator. or take to an auto parts store and have it checked,and the battery it all works as one.Then you are back to the wires. About high amp alternator. DON'T DO IT. Study up on it!​

Also ensure it's got a solid ground preferable to the block

SpeedD408

Reaction score
Fully agree with Chryco Psyco. @crackedback relay kit is great. I have his head lamp, road lamp and AC relays installed on my '71 Cuda and they work great. Taking the load off the switches and the connectors at the firewall made all the lamps brighter.

Back