• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

question about wiring

johnnydoe

Reaction score
basicly

new engine , new wiring harnes , all new everything else .
car is going to the body shop for final paint , my question is

i do not have the gauges in yet , just the steering colum , harness is pluged in to the colum , but when i turn the key the engine wont turn , do i need to fully install the gauges for the key to turn the starter ? i have power at the engine side of the fuse block , but not at the inside of the fuse block . i followed the red wire that has power an its supost to go to the amp gauge but i dont gave the gauges in yet , do i need to have the gauges in to get the engine to turn with the key ?

i understand this might seam a little confusing , is there someone i can call for this kinda help ?

thank you

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
it is hard to figure out something you cant see but, I am sure you need power to the inside of the car and, you need to hook up the amp gage or just bypass it
However if you just want to start the engine then just run a wire to your coil and start it using the relay under the hood

71Plym

Reaction score
I believe interior power comes from the red wires that go to the ammeter. Try connecting the two red wires from the ammeter. That will bypass the gauge as suggested above by TC.

You may want to bypass the ammeter permanently as this has been a weakness in the Mopar wiring. Checkout the Mad method. I did this to both my Cuda and Belvedere.
Catalog

johnnydoe

Reaction score
do they make a ammeter that looks like a volt meter ? or some kinda replacement meter ?

71Plym

Reaction score
Yes, I believe there is a gauge company that can convert to a voltmeter. May be a google search or maybe someone else will post the info. I left my disconnected ammeter as is in the dash. I have a voltmeter in the trunk with my battery.

rklein71

Reaction score
I bought a Sun voltmeter and put it in my Rallye cluster. Not a perfect match, but I think it looks good. Rod

IMG_3718.JPG

rklein71

Reaction score
I bought this gauge: Sunpro 2" Voltmeter Black / Black Bezel New CP7985 0-18V. The gauge housing had to be enlarged slightly because the posts are just a tad wider than the Mopar ammeter. You also have to disassemble the Sun gauge to get just the gauge itself and I had to bend the little resister in and insulate wire off the resistor from the case. Hope this helps. I have not painted my needles yet so they all match.

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

AUSTA

Reaction score
Great Work
should have been a surgeon can be very touchy when working with meters

johnnydoe

Reaction score
I bought this gauge: Sunpro 2" Voltmeter Black / Black Bezel New CP7985 0-18V. The gauge housing had to be enlarged slightly because the posts are just a tad wider than the Mopar ammeter. You also have to disassemble the Sun gauge to get just the gauge itself and I had to bend the little resister in and insulate wire off the resistor from the case. Hope this helps. I have not painted my needles yet so they all match.

View attachment 33981

View attachment 33982

View attachment 33983

wow nice work , great pictures too , did you just conect the wirers that go to the amp meter , now go to a volt meter ? an did you do any wirering mods

rklein71

Reaction score
wow nice work , great pictures too , did you just conect the wirers that go to the amp meter , now go to a volt meter ? an did you do any wirering mods

I plan on following most of Maddog recommendations. Will be splicing the two ammeter wires together, running a 10 gauge wire from the alternator to the starter relay, adding a couple of fusible links, diode regulator, relays for the headlights. Will need to connect a positive wire to the red post and a ground to the negative to wire it up. You don't want to connect the two wires from the ammeter as they are both positive. The current flow through the ammeter is what is being shown on the ammeter gauge.

I did a tach upgrade from Realtime Engineering and a quartz clock upgrade as well. Here is a picture of my project.
Rod

IMG_3720.JPG

Steve340

Reaction score
basicly

new engine , new wiring harnes , all new everything else .
car is going to the body shop for final paint , my question is

i do not have the gauges in yet , just the steering colum , harness is pluged in to the colum , but when i turn the key the engine wont turn , do i need to fully install the gauges for the key to turn the starter ? i have power at the engine side of the fuse block , but not at the inside of the fuse block . i followed the red wire that has power an its supost to go to the amp gauge but i dont gave the gauges in yet , do i need to have the gauges in to get the engine to turn with the key ?

i understand this might seam a little confusing , is there someone i can call for this kinda help ?

thank you
Do need to depress the clutch ? my car has a switch on the clutch pedal and unless you depress the clutch it will not wind over.
If it is an automatic they also have an inhibitor switch to ensure starting only in park or neutral.

Back