• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radiator Help

mopar70

Reaction score
1970 Dodge Challenger with a 383 and 727 trans. Car has a mild cam and is bored .30 it does run rich I have to get it tuned should help with the heating issue. My radiator is a standard 26 inch and I want to know if the one in the link will work.

ramenth

Reaction score
Best bet for direct application would be to call Summit. On the application page they're saying it'll fit, but give tech service a call.

Sometimes you can go to the website of the manufacturer and download directions to a pdf. file that will break down the application even more.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You may want to Check Champion rads as well , that one seems to be a bit narrow as the factory core width was 26"or 22" it seems to be a universal not a direct fit or maybe I am reading it wrong .
there could be a number of other issues , timing should be 12-16* at idle , but not over advancing past 36* total , vacuum advance is best left disconnected but must be connected to ported vacuum, low & idle & increasing with RPM opposite of manifold vacuum , is the fan on backwards , I have seem this often , is the thermostat working OK , boil it to check it . Add a shroud & have a good 18" clutch fan . often the clutch gets weak & will not pull much air . has the rad been checked for flow , just cleaning it will help . is there a spring inside the lower hose to pervent it collapsing with suction . lots to check .
Adding a external trans cooler is easy , just connect the 2 lines to a seperate cooler & mount the cooler in front of the rad

mopar70

Reaction score
Drained the radiator and did a flush through the heater hoses and refilled it with water. Before the flush the coolant was not flowing with the cap off just sitting there. After the flush I refilled the rad and turned the car on and it was flowing and I noticed it wasn't getting as hot as it would before when it was at idle. I'm going to fill it with coolant again and put electric fans and it should be good. I owned a 72 442 and I did the same thing to it and it ran fine after also I bought the car like this I think it had too much coolant and wasn't allowing it to flow easy fix.

Back