• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Riding an old American car in Japan.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello! About the cost of riding an old American car in Japan.
First of all, tax (every year) just by owning a car → about $ 850 to 360 small block
big block → $ 1000

car inspection fee (once every two years) → about $ 2000

car insurance (every year) → about $ 400

gasoline Price Regular → 1 gallon $ 533 Premium → $ 571

Also, Japan is very humid and cars are very rusting. In the case of a challenger, the vinyl top will rot from the inside. Parts are ordered from the United States and it takes nearly a month, and shipping costs are high. Some people who are riding challengers in Japan are rich, but some people are working hard with a little money like me. I'm jealous of people who can ride challengers in the United States.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Wow
Sorry to hear about the high cost of owning a classic American car in Japan.:eek:
Can’t believe the high annual fees and the cost of gasoline!

RYO5566

Reaction score
Wow
Sorry to hear about the high cost of owning a classic American car in Japan.:eek:
Can’t believe the high annual fees and the cost of gasoline!

Thanks for your comment. That's right, it always costs money to maintain and manage cars in Japan. In detail, the tax on the weight of the car will be added to the cost of the previous car inspection. In addition, the tax is increased by 10% every year for cars that are more than 13 years old. Japan is a tough country for old cars. The photo is a Japanese gas station sign, the top is the regular price, the second is the premium price, the third is the diesel price, and the price of 1000cc is about $ 1.3.

puffer-21.jpeg

RYO5566

Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for the insight. At least your insurance is reasonable.

Thanks for your comment. In Japan, it is a tough environment to maintain a car. So there are many people who want to ride an American classic car.

Rob C

Reaction score
$1,000 per ride for 1 hour, each additional hour is $750, must fill up tank after the drive or for the duration of drive if it exceeds the gas tanks mileage. Reservations must be made in advance. No refunds on un-used rides or trips for any reason. Destination not available but can be purchased for an additional fee. Round trip to and from your destination $2500, gasoline, drivers food, drink, room and board are not included. Driver reserves the right to cancel anytime for any reason. Broken/damaged items will be charged to the credit card used by the rider in full until fully satisfied by the vehicle owner without monetary limitations to the items of damage and concerned.

Number of riders limited to ...... (enter the max number of people there.)

No exceptions!

RYO5566

Reaction score
$1,000 per ride for 1 hour, each additional hour is $750, must fill up tank after the drive or for the duration of drive if it exceeds the gas tanks mileage. Reservations must be made in advance. No refunds on un-used rides or trips for any reason. Destination not available but can be purchased for an additional fee. Round trip to and from your destination $2500, gasoline, drivers food, drink, room and board are not included. Driver reserves the right to cancel anytime for any reason. Broken/damaged items will be charged to the credit card used by the rider in full until fully satisfied by the vehicle owner without monetary limitations to the items of damage and concerned.

Number of riders limited to ...... (enter the max number of people there.)

No exceptions!

Thanks for your comment. Well, I think Americans are going out with classic cars, but in Japan it's normal to ride several times on weekends and months. Anyway, gasoline is more expensive than other countries. So there are a lot of hybrid cars in Japan.

Rob C

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment. Well, I think Americans are going out with classic cars, but in Japan it's normal to ride several times on weekends and months.

I agree with the cars “Going out” because of the incredibly crazy prices of the old cars. The youth is shut out. There not as attractive as they used to be and even more so against the new offerings on the market. I’m not talking about the new generation of muscle cars. Just regular cars that can move fast really well, handle much better and get double to triple the mileage.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I agree with the cars “Going out” because of the incredibly crazy prices of the old cars. The youth is shut out. There not as attractive as they used to be and even more so against the new offerings on the market. I’m not talking about the new generation of muscle cars. Just regular cars that can move fast really well, handle much better and get double to triple the mileage.

Thanks for your comment! I'm riding as a hobby, not for life! Don't ride on a rainy day?

Rob C

Reaction score
Rainy day? Hot rod stays home. I drive the truck instead. 1500 HEMI Ram Express.

Rob C

Reaction score
LOL! Yea, it’s OK. About 16/17 around town if your easy on it. I went traveling with the wife up and down the eastern states (New York to Georgia) with the average of 24 miles per gallon. Best was 26 at one point. Moves pretty well for being over 5 thousand pounds.

RYO5566

Reaction score
LOL! Yea, it’s OK. About 16/17 around town if your easy on it. I went traveling with the wife up and down the eastern states (New York to Georgia) with the average of 24 miles per gallon. Best was 26 at one point. Moves pretty well for being over 5 thousand pounds.

Wow! Great! How far is New York to Georgia?

Rob C

Reaction score
From where I live to my old high school friends house is 957 miles, 14 hours, 33 minutes at a constant drive, no stopping. And that was the second to last stop on the trip. I made 5 stops in total visiting family and friends in various states over 10 days vacation.

The wife and I stayed & toured 2 days in the Capital, Washington DC, the capital has a string of Museums that would take a week to tour. I like the air/space as well as the modern history. Pictures below. I also went on to my sisters in Willmington, North Carolina, a cousin on the far side of town, down to Georgia and then a couple of days in Tennessee to visit a retired coworker on his new farm.

A couple of months ago I went to Ohio for a weeks worth of camping. Took some time out to see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. (You might want to make that a stop when you get to the states.) There was also an air show for the Holiday. Vintage and new warbirds from WWII to the latest jet fighter.
BD145843-F221-448D-9A7D-E76B09B3D11E.jpeg
66FD911D-CC38-4C7B-8F4C-F65356EF7B61.jpeg
A8126E60-A199-4E3F-BAF1-A8F504DA6A82.jpeg
D38F6613-9CF4-4599-AB5F-64754ED4E43F.jpeg
CB1A40BC-95D5-4701-B211-58EFA86F921B.jpeg

Yes! That is a V8 motor cycle with open cogs on the rear tire!!!
EC988E69-6EC4-4BD2-8DC3-E51DECB6FE8A.jpeg
DCC9B23D-91D4-4C1F-BF09-3F3CB81A1E0B.jpeg

RYO5566

Reaction score
From where I live to my old high school friends house is 957 miles, 14 hours, 33 minutes at a constant drive, no stopping. And that was the second to last stop on the trip. I made 5 stops in total visiting family and friends in various states over 10 days vacation.

The wife and I stayed & toured 2 days in the Capital, Washington DC, the capital has a string of Museums that would take a week to tour. I like the air/space as well as the modern history. Pictures below. I also went on to my sisters in Willmington, North Carolina, a cousin on the far side of town, down to Georgia and then a couple of days in Tennessee to visit a retired coworker on his new farm.

A couple of months ago I went to Ohio for a weeks worth of camping. Took some time out to see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. (You might want to make that a stop when you get to the states.) There was also an air show for the Holiday. Vintage and new warbirds from WWII to the latest jet fighter.
View attachment 65194 View attachment 65195 View attachment 65196 View attachment 65197 View attachment 65198
Yes! That is a V8 motor cycle with open cogs on the rear tire!!!
View attachment 65199 View attachment 65200

Hello! Thank you for a lot of photos and reports! It takes a very long distance and time ... I'm surprised with a V8 bike! I also like airplanes (especially the reciprocating engine from the WW2 era) and I want to see the real B29 Super Fortress next time I go to America . Where can I see the fully restored B29DOC aircraft? Thank you for talking very interesting pictures because the eastern United States has never been.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello! Thank you for a lot of photos and reports! It takes a very long distance and time ... I'm surprised with a V8 bike! I also like airplanes (especially the reciprocating engine from the WW2 era) and I want to see the real B29 Super Fortress next time I go to America . Where can I see the fully restored B29DOC aircraft? Thank you for talking very interesting pictures because the eastern United States has never been.

This is a picture of a route 66 journey from Los Angeles to Chicago 8 years ago.

FB_IMG_1472312664649.jpg

FB_IMG_1472312673600.jpg

DSC_0113-1.jpg

Rob C

Reaction score
Your welcome! That V8 motorcycle was made in the 1920’s if I remember correctly. I always wanted to go to that half burried car spot. I have not yet made it passed the Mississippi River except the Ohio trip.

I do t know where you can find a B-29. Good question! I’d like to see one as well. I’ve been in a B-19 & a B-24. Seen a few fighters. A Corsair, A Thunderbolt up close.
This one made famous from the Dolittle raid.
45774B0A-5FF6-4062-B7A5-90194A758982.jpeg
BAD41932-4EEF-4F57-9F09-AAB2587784AF.jpeg
A1E6FE7C-260B-4700-B010-590FE7192B40.jpeg

RYO5566

Reaction score
Your welcome! That V8 motorcycle was made in the 1920’s if I remember correctly. I always wanted to go to that half burried car spot. I have not yet made it passed the Mississippi River except the Ohio trip.

I do t know where you can find a B-29. Good question! I’d like to see one as well. I’ve been in a B-19 & a B-24. Seen a few fighters. A Corsair, A Thunderbolt up close.
This one made famous from the Dolittle raid.
View attachment 65210 View attachment 65208 View attachment 65209

I like the B24 too! It's enviable to see it nearby! The engine of the B29 is also in Japan and removed from the crashed aircraft at the time of WW2 (see photo). The place where the car stuck in the field is in Texas. It's far from east to west ... I've never been east from Illinois, but in November I remember Los Angeles was warm and Missouri and Kansas were cold. Does it snow in the area where you live? Also, here is the B29DOC homepage!

What is Doc B-29 Superfortress | Boeing B-29 Bomber | Doc's Friends

Back