• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stamping numbers- 70 Challenger

dtrm

Reaction score
Getting ready to sell a 70 Challenger body. Car has no vin or fender tag, but I located stamping numbers on the cowl, and core support. Wondering if the car may have a hidden vin or derivative that I can use to nail down what it was born as? I did not locate any tables or data specific to the stamping numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

New member, thanks for the opportunity.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Nothing else hidden. There would have been a decal on the drivers door with the full vin and build date, a fender tag on the drivers side inner fender apron or a build sheet commonly found in the seat springs. The only other documentation to substantiate the body to the rest of the vin was the paperwork that came with the car when new. The numbers on the cowl and core support are the partial vin but don't include what engine it came with or wether it was a JS or JH.
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

dtrm

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen, for the welcome and the advice. I'll give the registry a try.

The numbers on the cowl are: I04651, and SS-18-1. 20140201_160112.jpg
On the core support is what I guessed was a date code? OD 10 B
Also found 33-23-1.

20140201_160112.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm guessing the I is a 1 on the cowl and if you look a little harder there should be a letter in front of the six numbers that will indicate the assembly plant. You should find the same numbers on the core support. The other numbers don't really mean anything to us. It's a very early built car judging by the vin sequence number and the car looks really solid. There should be a date code stamped on front of the engine crossmember, it'll be small and stamped by hand, dead center facing the front of the car and be 4 digits. Is there a rear sway bar? What does it have for a rear axle?

dtrm

Reaction score
20140201_160317.jpg
I'm guessing the I is a 1 on the cowl and if you look a little harder there should be a letter in front of the six numbers that will indicate the assembly plant. You should find the same numbers on the core support. The other numbers don't really mean anything to us. It's a very early built car judging by the vin sequence number and the car looks really solid. There should be a date code stamped on front of the engine crossmember, it'll be small and stamped by hand, dead center facing the front of the car and be 4 digits. Is there a rear sway bar? What does it have for a rear axle?

Thanks for the info. The car doesn't have a K member, all that's left of the front suspension is control arms. No rear sway bar present, but I'll go out and look for evidence of mounts. The rear end is not original, it's a spicer type with a removable rear cover. It has a 5 X 5 1/2 bolt pattern, like and old 1/2 ton Ford. Two Challenger drums are there, with one stamped "Fomoco". The guy who looked it over for me told me the rear end was complete, both quarters were nice, so I said ok. When I got there the rear end was wrong, one axle was gone, along with the rear cover being in the trunk, and the gears long gone, with just the carrier there.

The right quarter will need a skin, and it will need floor or floor panels for the rear footwells, along with the trunk floor.

The only fender on it has the outline of an emblem, looks like it may have been "V8" ?

I think you're right on the numbers, I'll attach a photo. The only question left is what it's worth? I had thought about putting it on this site, or maybe ebay.

20140201_160317.jpg

dtrm

Reaction score
Looking at again, perhaps the "I" is just a marker or boundary to the numbers.

Thanks again!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Stripped that far down the only thing that might tell you anything is if the car has torque boxes. Ac or non ac car? It does not look like it was an SE. I would guess J_23_0B104651

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The odds are that it was a 318 car due to production numbers. At best it could be a 383 RT.

dtrm

Reaction score
Yeah, with my luck, I doubt anyone famous like the Beatles owned it either, but there's always hope.

Thank you all for the education, have found myself in the Mopar arena recently with the Super Bee and this body, so it has been fun to learn.

Ted

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
trunk floor exhaust hangars , 1 right is 318 , 1 on the left is slant 6 , 2 is 340 /383

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I believe one hanger was welded and the other was bolted on when you had two. If so, things could easily be changed over the years. Since it is a 70 it should have the 'coin' on the K-frame with a number on it. Then again, the K frame may not be original.

moparleo

Reaction score
You seem to be doing more research on this body than someone who would be actually buying it. Curious. What are actually looking to find ? You don't have a title (most of your questions would have been answered with it if you did) Without a title, it really wouldn't matter what you think it might be value wise. No body would spend a lot of money restoring a body with no title.
This a good exercise though in having members give their ideas of what you would normally look for when buying an e-body.

Last edited:

vtails

Reaction score
There is also a partial VIN on the rear trunk deck edge under the weatherstrip. If I remember correctly it is on the drivers side.

burdar

Reaction score
No trunk lip #s on an E-body.

Some states don't require a title. You can apply for a state issued VIN if you have no paperwork.

Back