• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Throttle Linkage issues, 70 Challenger 440

Oystercopy

Reaction score
OK, so I replaced the original Carter with this Edelbrock. The linkage worked perfectly fine for the Carter, but as you can see in the photos, does NOT match up with the Edelbrock. The carbs were identical otherwise, so I don't know what happened. You can see that I have a Zip Tie holding the two together, but obviously, want to fix that. Anyone have any idea what I need to do here? Got the carb from JEGS, if that matters... thanks in advance!

20200817_180808_resized.jpg

20200817_180813_resized.jpg

20200817_180818_resized.jpg

jt4406

Reaction score
OK, so I replaced the original Carter with this Edelbrock. The linkage worked perfectly fine for the Carter, but as you can see in the photos, does NOT match up with the Edelbrock. The carbs were identical otherwise, so I don't know what happened. You can see that I have a Zip Tie holding the two together, but obviously, want to fix that. Anyone have any idea what I need to do here? Got the carb from JEGS, if that matters... thanks in advance!

View attachment 77007

View attachment 77008

View attachment 77009
maybe this??? Edelbrock 1481: Gold Throttle Lever Adapter for Chrysler 1966 and Later | JEGS

Oystercopy

Reaction score
Actually, no, I wasn't kidding. The zip tie has been on there for months and worked flawlessly, as I had no other means to attach the cable to the carb. But thanks for the help and the pics anyway. I ordered that part from Jegs; looks like it works perfectly with that item. Wonder why that wasn't supplied with the carb? And I don't remember leaving a bracket like that on the old carb?

fastmark

Reaction score
The oem was made by Chrysler with specific mopar only linkage. The new Edelbrocks are generic to fit all cars( which means GM) just have to fork up for the adapter. It works fine. Even Holley has one like it.

volunteer

Reaction score
Enquiring minds would like to know what size of Eddy did you purchase - to replace a factory 750 cfm AVS? p.s. - - looks like you have a manual trans. Without the 1481 adapter, your attempts to integrate any kickdown linkage would have been futile. Lesson learned. 😇

Last edited:

Oystercopy

Reaction score
Yes I believe it is a 750CFM... And yes it is a 4 speed... So hopefully that little bracket will fix everything, according to the picture of the motor that has the blue/turquoise color. I should have been able to rely on Jegs to recommend that extra bracket when I bought the carb from them.

volunteer

Reaction score
I've ordered from Jegs before and no issues but, they should have asked what engine application and suggested the bracket, however, I suppose it takes experience to know about such things and many of us are still learning new things even decades later. I'm guessing the Eddy also has the electric choke? You have to get used to that feature since that design tends to cool rapidly even while engine is still very warm. So, next startup will be with a closed choke - resulting in more fuel than needed. You can adjust the choke cover to just barely close the plate when engine fully cooled and ambient temperature about 70-F. I've always preferred the factory 'well-type' setups.

Last edited:

Oystercopy

Reaction score
Actually, no, I chose the manual choke, although I don't have a choke cable. I live in a warmer climate where 20-30 seconds of cold-start roughness is a non-issue for me.

Back