• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

tor red '73 challenger

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
here you go matt. thanks again. Lenny

I have been reading up on this thread. I consider myself extremely lucky when I see the body work you have to be doing on these cars.

got a question of curiosity mostly. My 74 fender tag also has 2 different screw sizes as shown in picture from post #88 in this thread. It has annoyed me for the 30 years I have owned it. I always assumed one was changed for some reason. Not sure now. Does anyone know if this is normal???

thanks,
Mike.

ramenth

Reaction score
I have been reading up on this thread. I consider myself extremely lucky when I see the body work you have to be doing on these cars.

got a question of curiosity mostly. My 74 fender tag also has 2 different screw sizes as shown in picture from post #88 in this thread. It has annoyed me for the 30 years I have owned it. I always assumed one was changed for some reason. Not sure now. Does anyone know if this is normal???

thanks,
Mike.

Two different screws really isn't out of the ordinary.

The fender tag was held down by just one screw while the car was being painted. After the paint was laid on then they'd nail it down with the other screw further on down the line.

That's one of the reasons you'll see a little bare metal around the tag on some cars as the tag moved a bit, that metal didn't get painted, and the tag was put back in it's proper location.

a68postcar

Reaction score
as far as I can tell, Robert is correct. I've seen this "bare spot" on all tha body lines,A,B,E. I had a guy I knew who, sadly is not with us anymore, worked in several plants back in the day. He knew all about these things. wish he was around to ask.

a68postcar

Reaction score
here we go..........

100_4560.jpg

100_4561.jpg

a68postcar

Reaction score
the engine is nearly done. how about some good 4 speed intake suggestions. I say dual plane. bottom end torque and all.

ramenth

Reaction score
Nice use of an engine stand to hold the suspension.

Is it heavy enough to be able to hold the engine/suspension assembly to be able to do a body drop?

a68postcar

Reaction score
yeah Robert, It sure is. I'll place a scissor jack under the transmission. It'll help doing the allignment for the rear xmembr. once upon a tuesday I used a metal framed floor creeper.It worked ok but, it was hard to move around with the LCA's so close to the floor. this one is a much better deal.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Two different screws really isn't out of the ordinary.

The fender tag was held down by just one screw while the car was being painted. After the paint was laid on then they'd nail it down with the other screw further on down the line.

That's one of the reasons you'll see a little bare metal around the tag on some cars as the tag moved a bit, that metal didn't get painted, and the tag was put back in it's proper location.

as far as I can tell, Robert is correct. I've seen this "bare spot" on all tha body lines,A,B,E. I had a guy I knew who, sadly is not with us anymore, worked in several plants back in the day. He knew all about these things. wish he was around to ask.

thanks for the info.
20 years of wondering and all cleared up in an instant. All I had to do was ask. Mine also has the mismatched paint.
wow who knew...

Mike.

a68postcar

Reaction score
here we go.......now thats what i call a delivery!!!!!!!:blob1:

100_4758.jpg

100_4759.jpg

100_4760.jpg

100_4761.jpg

a68postcar

Reaction score
its like christmas in .....er...um, April ??????? thanks alot for watching moparlee. i have a whole lot of work to do yet, before i can marry them up, i'll put the firewall and all the hard to reach stuff together first. wiper motor and transmissions, heater box, brake booster and master cylinder pedals and on and on and on....

a68postcar

Reaction score
its been two years since this car was in this stage of disassembly. i'm pretty happy.

100_4789.jpg

100_4790.jpg

100_4791.jpg

100_4792.jpg

100_4793.jpg

a68postcar

Reaction score
new harness came today. i'll be installing it post haste. that'll get the ball rolling. i went to install the front hard lines for the brakes and the friggin proportioning valve end fitting on both lines were locked so i soaked them in brake fluid overnight. the next day when i tried again, the lines gave up right at the end of the nut. dang. so after looking a little closer. i discovered that the entire line was rusted out from end to end. now i'm worried that the long hard line to the rear is in the same condition. i will look a little closer. at this point failure is not an option. i'm really starting to get excited.

moparleo

Reaction score
Hope fully for safety sake , you have replaced all the brake and fuel lines as they deteriorate from the inside out just like coolant hoses. Have you replaced the master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and front calipers yet? Following along on your restoration I have only seen the pretty body work repair and nothing about the restoration of any of the mechanicals. Do you have any pictures of anything like that ? The external looks great. Just wondered about the rest of the car.
Great job so far.

Back