• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk Floor Extensions

Martin

Reaction score
Finally back at it finishing up some work in the trunk floor. What are the pros/cons on installing the the trunk floor extensions before the quarter panels? It’s obviously easier to install them before the quarters, but easier to adjust the quarters with them off. Any experience you want to share?

I am leaning toward installing before the quarters. Plan is to test fit with the quarters on and basically mock up the whole rear end. Then remove the quarters/tail and install the extensions. Reasoning is mods on the tubs probably has created fit issues, so need to be able to fix any issues before putting the quarters on. Then i’m going to paint everything before putting the quarters on. Seems like a reasonable plan.

As a reference, my car has a new one piece trunk floor and I Mini Tubbed the wheel wells- which turned into a bigger PITA than i thought. New complete quarters and tail pan.

budascuda

Reaction score
Mocking up is a good idea no matter what you are fabricating. I like it.
Don't forget though, the rear valence is a crucial part of your mockup and it helps with the alignment of all the rear-end panels, but I know that you know that already.
Good luck....

Rich G.

Reaction score
As long as everything is test fitting all together ( I use clecos on all panels) there shouldn’t be a problem. The problem happens when you weld a piece on and then try to fit the next piece on. That’s why I fit everything with clecos so when I take it all apart I know it will go back in the exact place that it was before.

Martin

Reaction score
Yeah, that fit sucks. Drivers side looks good. Passenger side is a mess. I should replaced this whole outer wheel well vs patching it. i definitely screwed up that compound curve with my patch panel. Looks like some more work to do on the fit.

007A0761-6A81-4ED3-BC53-2E87947FAD36.jpeg

Martin

Reaction score
Mocking up is a good idea no matter what you are fabricating. I like it.
Don't forget though, the rear valence is a crucial part of your mockup and it helps with the alignment of all the rear-end panels, but I know that you know that already.
Good luck....
Yup, good reminder though

Martin

Reaction score
Did some fit testing with the quarters. Not bad, but still tons of fit issues. Always something off.

48386C0C-014C-47D3-A8CA-5742B2149D7D.jpeg

2DB5A664-F1CE-435E-B1F3-2DB4773EC661.jpeg

FD1C3452-AE7F-4CC3-B1F4-5AAD5B18A879.jpeg

budascuda

Reaction score
Yes there is gonna be adjustments for sure, but don't be too concerned, the whole shell changes with time and use, depending on how long and how hard.
Even on military aircrafts, certain parts like the replacement canopy for example, come in slightly different dimensions for different numbers of hours of service, in order to accommodate the distortions introduced to the air frame..
I am sure your car has done lots of donuts in it's life, like the rest of them.
But looking good ....

Last edited:

Martin

Reaction score
drivers side fit is very close. just a few adjustments from marking it and drilling it. Passenger side is a different story.

C121B688-6B34-4CF2-8979-81FEE7D11AB5.jpeg

budascuda

Reaction score
Sometimes a side impact could curl in the inner/outer wheel well, that, would bring the lower back portion of the quarter panel in closer.
Measurements, measurements,measurements....

hdwrench

Reaction score
i’m going thru the same process as you are ! only difference is my car car partially disassembled (cut into ) so i bought all new tail section…..

hdwrench

Reaction score
i was thinking of installing amd 3” wide inner wheelhouses but after mocking up new parts i think i’m ok with just moving springs inwards… installing the tubs would lead to a bunch of related work , i got plenty to keep me busy now ….

hdwrench

Reaction score
on your trunk drop extensions, do the tuck under trunk floor or layer on top , mine were cut out before i got to them …

340challconvert

Reaction score
on your trunk drop extensions, do the tuck under trunk floor or layer on top , mine were cut out before i got to them …
The trunk extensions are spot welded on the L shaped lip at the edge where they meet the trunk floor. There is a tab on the extension that welds to the top of trunk floor;

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5349 (3).jpg

hdwrench

Reaction score
thanks , that is the tab i was wondering about …. my left trunk extension arrived a little beat up we have to re shape some , the bend at the drop dips a bit much and has a few dents elsewhere … right fits better and arrived in good shape …

Rich Followell

Reaction score
I purchased AMD then later the Dynacorn Qtr. extensions the AMD ones are missing a bracket and do not include the parts for the bumper jack mount. also the Dynacorn seem to fit better

Back