• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger , AMD vs NOS Quarters

6pktgo

Reaction score
Any Thoughts??? A higher end driver/show car, is the final goal. I have a chance to pick up NOS quarters for $2500, still in their original boxes!! , or get AMD for about $1200. Do NOS fit that much better or are they thicker?? or is AMD that much more work to install?? :confused:

Adam

Reaction score
Any Thoughts??? A higher end driver/show car, is the final goal. I have a chance to pick up NOS quarters for $2500, still in their original boxes!! , or get AMD for about $1200. Do NOS fit that much better or are they thicker?? or is AMD that much more work to install?? :confused:

For that much I would go with AMD, they are the same thickness... Things to keep in mind: the Gas hole recessed area may not be exactly the same, but it gets covered by the Flip -Top trim ring; are you only doing the lower 1/4s? Also, the edge where the 1/4 wraps around into the door jamb may not be as sharp as a factory 1/4...very minor issue and easy to fix if you know about it..

Make sure you inspect whatever is in the boxes before accepting shipment !

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Unless you are building a concours car, I would go with the AMD.

moparleo

Reaction score
Remember that N.O.S. mean New Old Stock. They also may have been made later than the cars. They made extra sheet metal for the auto collision repair businesses and they can be returns, moved from warehouse to warehouse etc.. Not always in "mint " condition.

jeff968

Reaction score
Having purchased a bunch of new NOS e-body sheetmetal new, back 35 years ago, I can tell you it NEVER came in a box.

jimynick

Reaction score
Having purchased a bunch of new NOS e-body sheetmetal new, back 35 years ago, I can tell you it NEVER came in a box.

Yep, same here. GM would box some stuff, but I can't remember ever getting any Mopar tin in a box. AND, it was usually coated in the old red oxide primer.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don't recall any boxes for Mopar metal from this era either and I used to hang around with a guy that had a lot of it here in the Detroit area in the mid '80s. That's not to say that it didn't originally come in boxes and the parts quickly removed when delivered to save in storage space.
In this application I would just spring for the AMD and I also wouldn't replace any part of the quarter that didn't actually need to be.

Back