• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone recognize this marking??

IA6Barrel

Reaction score
Found this on drivers door during restoration. It's the original door on my 70 AAR. I do not believe the door was ever painted. Obviously, looking in the window and looking down, it likes "new" and with door open it likes like maybe "mon". Has anyone ever seen this on another e body? Or any mopar from this era? Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

193rdsow

Reaction score
I believe it says “new”. Maybe a replacement door at one point?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It looks more like “new” but if it were “mon” it could’ve been shot for Monday maybe? But I know the hope is that somebody has seen a similar marking.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I'll take a look through my DW book to see if there's any reference to such markings when I go to my shop a little later today...

IA6Barrel

Reaction score
Grady, thank you. I appreciate the educated guesses I've been getting. But any other known similar markings was my hope. Obviously if there is a definitive answer, that would be cool. I appreciate you taking a minute to look.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Grady, thank you. I appreciate the educated guesses I've been getting. But any other known similar markings was my hope. Obviously if there is a definitive answer, that would be cool. I appreciate you taking a minute to look.
That's why I'm here brother - to help if I can! I'll get back to you ASAP...

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Probably an assembly line workers initials. I have seen names under panels before.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
So I went through the book and did not find anything specific to that area of the door regarding any type of letters. As challenger6pak stated above, names have been found under panels. The DW book does recognize that but only one specific name that has been repeatedly found on the left rear wheel arch inside the car behind the plastic interior panel got mentioned in his book. I don't want to speculate - it could be a name or initials but without proof, it is just speculation. I would recommend emailing David Wise through the MMC Detroit website with pictures and a description to see if he has any further information that has not yet made it to an update of his literature. He has returned my emails in the past and even called me once to discuss an issue I had with information in one of his books. It's worth a shot - sorry I couldn't have been more helpful...

IA6Barrel

Reaction score
Actually that was very helpful and insightful. I appreciate the time, effort and intetest in this. I think it's pretty cool and will save it during restoration. It will make good conversation someday when the AAR is all done and someone sees the picture in my restoration book. I think my AAR is possibly 1 of 1 with its particular options, so if Its the only one known to have new or mon or man or whatever it means... Even better. All the best to you. Sincerely, Jeff

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Good idea to save it. We are still learning about these cars and it may mean something with new information in the future.

moparlee

Reaction score
Not meaning to high jack your thread, but I found this marking on my 71 340 Challenger. Kinda looks like a "5", but more so like a "G" looking at it in the other direction.
4 - Oct 27-14 (17).JPG
Thought this would be of interest to post here.

Back