• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash VIN Plate Rivets - Sanity Check on Shape

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I bought a new set of rivets for the VIN plate. Going on 1970 Challenger

Unfortunately it looks like the new rivets have a bit smaller diameter and the rivet is much more flower-petal shaped than the original (middle rivet in picture).

- Where the original rivets shaped like the new ones? or my original?
- Anybody know a source for the original shape rivet?
- Anyone ever try to reshape a round rivet to the flower shape? Probably not easy...

Please advise,
Thanks
Mopar Rivets.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
I've tinkered with the idea of CNC milling new rivets with the correct shape. The problem is finding rivets made the same way they were in the 70s-90s. The process is different now and new rivets would be easy to spot as being incorrect.

I've always re-used my old rivets. It takes forever to get them out and straightened to use again, but it doesn't get any more legit than original.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Thanks. I was going to try to reuse.
Do you drive out the rod in the middle of the rivet from the top? Then reinstall the rivet with the VIN plate and flare out the diameter again?
Any tips appreciated.

quapman

Reaction score
Thanks. I was going to try to reuse.
Do you drive out the rod in the middle of the rivet from the top? Then reinstall the rivet with the VIN plate and flare out the diameter again?
Any tips appreciated.

Yes, and I use a small brad with a rivet gun to flare the rivet. A #4 maybe?

AUSTA

Reaction score
I bought a new set of rivets for the VIN plate. Going on 1970 Challenger

Unfortunately it looks like the new rivets have a bit smaller diameter and the rivet is much more flower-petal shaped than the original (middle rivet in picture).

- Where the original rivets shaped like the new ones? or my original?
- Anybody know a source for the original shape rivet?
- Anyone ever try to reshape a round rivet to the flower shape? Probably not easy...

Please advise,
ThanksView attachment 57451
Just received some ECS ones they are smaller they may flatten a little when crimped.
Also noticed their pentastar logo & text on the vin tag transfer is smaller than the original
Update just finished restore on tag once text is rubbed onto the tag it comes out the same
The original rivets are .254" point to point the new ECS rivets are .2435 when crimped with the rivet gun they expand to .258 so they are close to the same

Last edited:
Back