• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Home Run ??

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
I may have knocked one out of the park! An Acquaintance whom I have not seen in a while called me on Thursday. Said he thought of me as he was cleaning out his elderly fathers garage. Was taking stuff to the dump. Asked me to come over and see if I wanted a 440 motor, and what he thinks is a 340 motor !!! I tried to stay as calm as possible, when he tells me that he has some other Mopar stuff I might want. I tried to get with him yesterday but he was called into work. You can bet, as soon as I get home from Church, I will be on the phone with him and on the way. I told him not to throw anything else away until I get there. I'm pumped.

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
I hope it is not a 396 and a 350. Some people don't know the difference.

Nah, This guy knows I'm into Mopars. He knows enough to know that they're Mopar engines. Problem is, I can't get there today (ice storm) And his phone is going to voice mail. He's a building engineer. Probably had to go to work. Fingers Crossed

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
Ok guys. No answer on the phone yesterday morning so I googled the address and just drove over there . Only 20 mins away. He was at work but his girlfriend and Elderly father were there. So I got Ronnie on the phone and told him I wanted to see the engines. He said the 440 was in the main garage, but the 340 and the other stuff was in a trailer locked up, and he had the key on him. Anyhow I got a good look at the 440. It is complete , minus intake , still painted turquois. On the pad is H440 and date of 12 15. Casting numbers are 253643010 casting date 11-3-71. I looked there first and thought it was 77 , but I soon realized after I got the vin that it is a 72. Vin# 2C196373. Not sure but I think its from a C body car. Gonna check the charts today. I'm wondering if that motor would have a steel crank??

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It should be forged for a 440 in '72. There should be an "E" stamped on the pad for cast crank and of corse it'll have the externally balanced damper on it. But my book seems to show all 440s in '72 were forged crank.

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
It should be forged for a 440 in '72. There should be an "E" stamped on the pad for cast crank and of corse it'll have the externally balanced damper on it. But my book seems to show all 440s in '72 were forged crank.

Thanks Matt. That's what I thought also. I looked at a lot of charts today, and I can't find anywhere where a cast crank was used previous to 73.
I hope to get a look at the 340 ( if thats what it is ) today or tomorrow. he's going out of town on vacay next week and is looking for some spending money. I hope to jump on all of it before he leaves.

Back