• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member intro

hsb shadow

Reaction score
Hi I just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I've been playing with cars for almost 30 years and I've only gotten into mopars in the last 8 years. Currently I'm building my second cuda. It's a special order 1972 cuda with a TA motor and all numbers match front to back. It's got a fair number of options as well. It did start out as a pretty bad basket case. I'm looking forward to interacting with some of the members and using this site as a resource as I start to put the car back together. The drivetrain is mounted on a refurbished k-member. The body is still undergoing major surgery.

hsb shadow

Reaction score
Thanks and I might be playing the what is this part game. I bought the car and it spent more time on the back of a trailer moving across the country and than driving on its own wheels .also it was partially disassembled in the hardware came in two nice Folgers coffee cans.lol

hsb shadow

Reaction score
Here's a couple of pictures of what it looks like now.

IMG_20221210_114919495.jpg

IMG_20221221_184645481.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! So are you saying that your Cuda came originally with a 1970 T/A block and heads?

hsb shadow

Reaction score
From what I'm told by a guy that builds nothing but mopar's in 1972 remaining 1970 ta blocks were scattered in a few challengers and cudas. My car has a 1970 block 1971 heads and has the vin stamped. By the way it was originally sold in Missouri. I bought it disassembled about 7 years ago from someone in New Jersey

71ChallRT

Reaction score
Interesting. I had never heard of this. So the block has the "TA 340" cast in it? Are the heads TA heads with relocated pushrods and adjustable gear or standard? I have heard of 440 6 pack rods being in some high performance 72 440s, etc. to use them up, but not this. What a find! If this is legit, congratulations on a really cool car!

hsb shadow

Reaction score
Thank you for all the welcomes. You guys made me go back and look at the engine again and sure enough the VIN number is stamped and the passenger side of the block and the heads are j heads

hsb shadow

Reaction score
My engine builder told me that they were ta heads with relocated push rods.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Cool car! Will look great when your complete.
What is the fender tag readout? Originally a 340 car I assume?
Would love to see some pictures of the t/a block.
A 70 motor put into a 72 perks my curiosity. Can you post pics of the t/a stamps and cast numbers. Very curious! Thanks and welcome to the site!

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I'm reluctant to put VIN numbers in the pictures right now. But what I can tell you is this is the original 340 engine that came with the car and has the VIN number stamped in it. I've talked to a couple of experts and they told me that this wasn't considered anything exotic back then and that these were just a few surplus engines left over that they were clearing out. If you were placed in challengers and a few in cudas. This car was special ordered and came with power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, rally gauges, vinyl top roof, graphics package, etc

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Cool. When your ready to post pictures of the motor and numbers I'm sure there are several of us who would enjoy a good conversation about the motor.

71ChallRT

Reaction score
I'm reluctant to put VIN numbers in the pictures right now. But what I can tell you is this is the original 340 engine that came with the car and has the VIN number stamped in it. I've talked to a couple of experts and they told me that this wasn't considered anything exotic back then and that these were just a few surplus engines left over that they were clearing out. If you were placed in challengers and a few in cudas. This car was special ordered and came with power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, rally gauges, vinyl top roof, graphics package, etc
Did it also get the quick ratio steering like a T/A AAR? You have one unique ride there!

Back