• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No oil pressure on start up

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Ok thanks very much 70chall440.
Tom, sorry you have to go through this, at the same time, how can people avoid having an "underling" doing the work that's supposed to be done by a professional with a good reputation?
I always do my own work, figuring i can never be as bad as an "underling".
Good luck Tom, with a bit of pain, it will be corrected.
Every engine builder was an apprentice at one time or another.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Had my 1995 Magnum 360 refreshed by top-notch pro. builder. Filled oil filter, added oil and zinc and fired up. No oil pressure. Buddy claims the distributor drive shaft is wrong length (stock Mopar dizzy) but I think all small block LA and Magnum distr. shafts are the same length. Any ideas?
take the distributor out There should be a bung at the end of the oil gallery inside the block pretty well inline with the bung at the rear if it is missing spin the drill you will see oil flooding down in the distributor area running back into the sump

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A Professional Knows and exercises their next move. The good thing is Tom made the next professional move and discovered it.That's the upside of it. lack of communication somewhere? IT HAPPENS.

moparleo

Reaction score
I was going by your own words :
Had my 1995 Magnum 360 refreshed by top-notch pro. builder. Filled oil filter, added oil and zinc and fired up. No oil pressure.

We did prime the engine with oil using a drill. Thanks for the reply.
Sounds to me like you got no oil pressure and started it anyway...anyway here we are. Not fun but best to pull it out and do a thorough inspection. Part of the "fun" of this hobby.

budascuda

Reaction score
Every engine builder was an apprentice at one time or another.
That's the truth Matt,
My first boss , an Irishman, used to go around with a COIN, and check the gappage in between the cabinet doors that i had installed and say that " I have to keep you on your toes "
My point is, If you let the apprentice to do the work, you have to thoroughly inspect his work before charging and claiming that the work was done by a professional. I think that's the responsible/honest way. jmho
At any rate, isn't the shop's responsibility to do the re/re +whatever repair that needs to be done?

Last edited:

ted s

Reaction score
if its missing a gallet plug it shoulsdt have primed when it wasnt in the car

tonysrt

Reaction score
Sounds like it is best to prime small block before installing because it has more plugs that are sometimes overlooked. The B block doesn't seem to have as many plugs that are a problem. I've built 2 440's and never had any oiling issues.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Ok thanks very much 70chall440.
Tom, sorry you have to go through this, at the same time, how can people avoid having an "underling" doing the work that's supposed to be done by a professional with a good reputation?
I always do my own work, figuring i can never be as bad as an "underling".
Good luck Tom, with a bit of pain, it will be corrected.
Not sure it was an underling...just can't imagine a top-notch Mopar only engine builder missing this, but we are all human.

moparleo

Reaction score
There is a term that is universally known as Q.C.
Best practice no matter who you are is to have someone else take a look.
Sometimes people get distracted while working and miss something. It obviously happens.

budascuda

Reaction score
Sometimes people get distracted while working and miss something. It obviously happens.

Especially if buddy is an apprentice.......

heminut

Reaction score
Yup, another set of eyes never hurts.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Update. Pulling the engine. The builder will repair any issue (likely bad oil pump) break it in for me and even dyno it it for me. All for free, so the issue is solved. Just a bit of a PITA Oh well, that's our hobby at times. lol

heminut

Reaction score
Update. Pulling the engine. The builder will repair any issue (likely bad oil pump) break it in for me and even dyno it it for me. All for free, so the issue is solved. Just a bit of a PITA Oh well, that's our hobby at times. lol
That's amazing customer service right there!

budascuda

Reaction score
That's amazing customer service right there!
Hell,.....that's better than aadvertising! Cheaper too.
I hope they don't mess up engines deliberately, just so they can boast about their customer service!
God forbid lol

ted s

Reaction score
bet he will not be amused when he learns the installer was inside it

Back