• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old Guy with Challenger R/T

Weldguy

Reaction score
Hello to MoPar associates (can't say "fellow" anymore LOL)
I've owned my 1970 Challenger R/T since 1982. I originally built it to do occasional bracket racing at National Trail Raceway, only 20 minutes away. I found freeze damage (cracks) in the original 383, so building a 440 doesn't cost nickle more. I located a 53K mile engine in (of all things) a t-boned '69 Chrysler station wagon! Yep... even an HP block engine!!! The owner pulled it for me and apologized for charging me $75 because it was missing the carb and starter. Those were the good old days (sigh).
I was able to get it to run in the 12.90s yet still drive it anywhere on the street. The National Trail techs said I would need to cage it to run in the 12s, but it's just too valuable to me to hack up. Running consistent 13.90s started taking its toll with body seam cracks showing up, so it's been in a state of restoration for a number of years.
That brings me to joining this group at 75 years of age. I'm sure I'll be needing your help from time to time. Currently, I am converting it to a 4-speed since it's not the original engine anyway. It's taken me a little over three years to collect all the needed parts including the big hemi (heavy spline) transmission.

Big AL

Reaction score
Hello to MoPar associates (can't say "fellow" anymore LOL)
I've owned my 1970 Challenger R/T since 1982. I originally built it to do occasional bracket racing at National Trail Raceway, only 20 minutes away. I found freeze damage (cracks) in the original 383, so building a 440 doesn't cost nickle more. I located a 53K mile engine in (of all things) a t-boned '69 Chrysler station wagon! Yep... even an HP block engine!!! The owner pulled it for me and apologized for charging me $75 because it was missing the carb and starter. Those were the good old days (sigh).
I was able to get it to run in the 12.90s yet still drive it anywhere on the street. The National Trail techs said I would need to cage it to run in the 12s, but it's just too valuable to me to hack up. Running consistent 13.90s started taking its toll with body seam cracks showing up, so it's been in a state of restoration for a number of years.
That brings me to joining this group at 75 years of age. I'm sure I'll be needing your help from time to time. Currently, I am converting it to a 4-speed since it's not the original engine anyway. It's taken me a little over three years to collect all the needed parts including the big hemi (heavy spline) transmission.
pictures please!

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! We’d like to see your car too. 👍🏻

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
IMG_1924.jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Always glad to have another "old guy" with an e-body. Our cars are pretty stout, but as Moparleo said, torque boxes and subframe connectors are a must!

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Glad you kept the Challenger
I have had mine since 1979
Us sep·tu·a·ge·nar·i·ans have to stick together :thumbsup:

PGio

Reaction score
Welcome! I too just joined. I have WANTED a 70 Challenger R/T for almost 40 years! Finally attained that dream this summer (2023). Many decades in the making.
I also still have my first car - since 1979. A '71 Charger R/T.

Back