• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Production numbers for a 70 V code Cuda

oakme2

Reaction score
I am curious about production numbers for a 70 V code cuda I have. It is the Hemi orange/Tor-red color, it had the rocker panel moldings with the gill look, factory road lamps, hood pins, shaker, totally black interior, Hockey stick stripes, 727 auto, console W slapstick, Rallye dash, 3.55 8.75" rear end, and it is a V code.

Other things is it was made in LA, I heard the production run in LA for E body cars was short, it was produced early December of 69. It does have the fender tag, and a small strip of steel that sticks out with a single digit stamped through it that mounts under the fender tag secured by one of the screws. The single digit was a cutout digit not a stamped in digit like a VIN, or fender tag. The original interior is in the car except for the carpet, and it has never been searched for the build sheet. Also where do people generally find the build sheets on the LA produced E body cars.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! You joined almost 6 years ago and you’re just getting around to your first post?:rolleyes: And there’s no picture???o_O
They produced 853 V-code automatics and the tag attached under the fender tag is an inspection tag that was punched by an inspector as it went down the line. There’s a recent thread that discusses percentages of cars produced in each color offered.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT.

You joined almost 6 years ago and you’re just getting around to your first post?:rolleyes: And there’s no picture???o_O

Ya, what Matt said! We need pics!

To address your question regarding production numbers, I can tell you that in 1970 there were a total of 48,867 total Plymouth Barracudas made. Of that, 865 of them were 440-6bbl (V-Code) with A/T as you reported yours to be. Of that 865, 12 were convertibles which leaves 853 to be Coupe/Hardtop. Of that, 719 were made with Shaker Hood. I can't break it down any further regarding color or other options.

Adam

Reaction score
I have read / heard LA built cars did not have build sheets; I had an original 70 Cuda that did not have one; also built in 1969.
Maybe someone on here can confirm whether they did or not.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT.

Ya, what Matt said! We need pics!

To address your question regarding production numbers, I can tell you that in 1970 there were a total of 48,867 total Plymouth Barracudas made. Of that, 865 of them were 440-6bbl (V-Code) with A/T as you reported yours to be. Of that 865, 12 were convertibles which leaves 853 to be Coupe/Hardtop. Of that, 719 were made with Shaker Hood. I can't break it down any further regarding color or other options.
Where did you get the 719 figure?

Reaction score
Grady, also curious about where the 719 figure came from, I have a 70 V code Cuda with A/T that came with the Rally hood not a Shaker, I didn't know anybody had breakdown figures about which hoods V code cars had. So that means only 134 V codes had the rally hood?
Mine was made for Canada, most figures don't include Canadian cars.
Cheers Ken

Grady Cain

Reaction score
These are pages from my David Wise ICCA E-body book. I posted these along with several other pages on the thread that DetMatt referenced in post #2. I hope you can see where I put a red bullet next to the shaker information in the first photo. 2nd photo is total production breakdown.

20180204_142409_LI.jpg
20180204_142331_LI.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
719 total for ALL Cuda hdtps.

ALL hardtops EXCEPT Hemi 'Cudas. The shaker specs for the Hemi cars are listed separately as you can see in the photo. You have to be careful what you take away from these books as I have stated pretty much every time I post information from them. I have found numerous errors and misprints in them so take everything for what it is...

I agree with Detmatt1 I took that to mean 719 for all hardtop production including 340's, 383's and 440 4bbl's

That is correct and I apologize if I didn't make that clear. 719 for all EXCEPT Hemi cars...

Reaction score
I think this is a good example of how "facts" get miss quoted in our hobby, when you've been around a long time like most of us old timers you take most information with a grain of salt as the saying goes, it always pays to ask questions, there's always someone who may know more than you.
Thanks for the explanation Grady, I'm always trying to learn new stuff about my favourite cars.
Cheers Ken

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Grady, I'm always trying to learn new stuff about my favourite cars.

You're welcome Ken. I am constantly filling my head with information on these cars and love to learn from others. Lots of great members on this forum with lots of knowledge. There is always something new to learn! The main reason I started my T/A restoration thread here was to show what I have learned (so far) about what is and what isn't correct as I continue with my "Day 1" restoration. To each their own as I say often but I hope the things I have posted in that thread help and/or inspire others to bring an old Mopar back to life the way they started out at the assembly line...

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
LA plant had a no trash policy. So build sheets were thrown in the trash instead of put in the cars.
Some LA cars have surfaced with build sheets. Not many though. And some of them are for the wrong car. .

Look behind the glove box
under the carpet
Most common place is in the rear of the front seats or in tops and bottoms of both front and rear seats.
I've heard of a build sheet in the head liner, but that was just one guy on a forum.

oakme2

Reaction score
I joined and didnt find my way back to the site. I bought the car 30 years ago, and it has been in the back of my storage building for most of that time. I am about to build my own shop at my house and I am starting to think about the Cuda again. I had quite a big mopar collection that I slowly sold through the years, but I hung on to the V code, and a 68 cuda too. I will dig up some pics and post them, right now the storage building is full and the cuda is gently buried in the back corner.

oakme2

Reaction score
I found picks from when I moved it to its current storage location. The main body is in original paint.

539.jpg

538.jpg

554.jpg

545.jpg

543.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hey oakme2
Glad you kept the V Code Cuda and Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
That is one nice and rare Cuda!
Looking forward to seeing your work on the car.
Dino2 (1).gif

aussiemark

Reaction score
I am not saying you did this, you probably saved this car but it always amazes me how these awesome cars end up like this, if I had one in good condition it would always be that way. If I did work on it I would finish the job or I would leave it alone until I had the parts or money to start and finish the job, cars get better the longer I own them a lot of people pull them apart and don't have the money, time or knowledge (pick one or more) the parts get lost or damaged and then they sell it or just let it rot.

Back