• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Scoring on driveshaft yoke

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
Hi gang,
I'm replacing the u joints on my 70 TA. I also have a new yoke. But the one I took out has scoring or grooves on it. Do I need to replace the bushing or seal at the tail shaft of the transmission? Its the A833. Thanks a bunch.
P.S. I'm getting to old laying on my back. Gotta invest in a lift.

70chall440

Reaction score
It depends on how bad the scoring is and whether the trans was leaking or not. Is it scored (measurable groove) or is there just a wear mark?

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it leaking. Just a small seapage. But now I have a vibration at 60mph that wasn't there before. Im concerned about any damage being encurred while driving.

fasjac

Reaction score
The vibration is probably from the u joints. ?? Definitely easier to R/R the bushing on the bench.

Steve340

Reaction score
Unless the scoring is really deep I would not worry at this stage about the yoke or bush.
After the driveshaft is done if the vibration is gone - all good.
Replace the tail shaft housing seal and make sure you top up the transmission oil.

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll R/R the bushing and seal?(are they different?)on a rack I have access to. I already pressed in the u joints and yoke. Then re-balance the driveshaft. I don't have a photo of the old yoke but I could feel the grooves.

Steve340

Reaction score
That bush survives with very little oil. Most get damaged beyond repair when the owner allows the trans to leak oil until the bush is run dry.
Mine has some scoring on it but I have no vibration.
The seal can be replaced easily from the outside. The seal and the bush are separate parts of the A833

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. You and the others are easy to help with answers.

Back