• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starting Issues

URChallenger

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently acquired a 71' Challenger and I am having issues with the car staying on. The car does start, but it shuts off after I release the key. After doing some research, I have replaced the following so far to try to troubleshoot the issue:

-Starter
-Resistor ballast
-Ignition switch (I bought a new one and just unplugged the connector from under the console for the time being)
-Starter relay

After replacing these items, I am still having the same issue. What other items could possibly cause this issue?

Thank you in advance

74 challenger

Reaction score
Im just guessing but did you clean the connectors on the steering column ,check the wires also?burnt?Bulkhead connectors clean,tight? Was the car running when you bought it? If so did this just happen or did you work on it and thats when it happened?

URChallenger

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply, the holiday was quite busy. I did get a chance to on the car, and ir ended up being a loose connector on the firewall. I connceted everything securely and everything was good.

Thank you guys for help! I appreciate it!

Back