• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Turn Signal Switch

mopardude1962

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Barracuda I'm currently restoring. I broke the original turn signal switch, actually it was already broken, the cancel tabs were broken off. Anyway, I ordered a new one from year one but it has an "extra" three wire plug on the end in addition to the long connector that I originally had. I installed this switch, plugged in the long connector and let the little one dangle because I don't know where it goes and now my parking lights and turn signals don't work correctly. They were working before, just didn't have the cancel tabs on the switch. What is this additional pigtail for? Do I need to use it for anything? Obviously, I have a problem with this new switch, but can someone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting? Thanks!

Rob C

Reaction score
A picture of the old vs new one would help alot... for me at least. Can you do this?

Perhaps, just guessing here, it is for cruise control?

mopardude1962

Reaction score
1971 Turn Signal Switch

Rob,

Thanks for responding. I don't have a picture of the two switches side by side. However, I think I found in the service manual where in 1971 the front turn signals were spliced into the turn signal indicators (on the dash) at the fuse block. In later years that splice was made inside the column at the switch. Therefore, the switch I ordered and installed is for a later model car and the "extra" pigtail must plug into the harness of a 1972 and up model car to fire up the turn signal indicators on the dash. Since I have a 1971 car, the wiring harness does not have a provision for plugging in the "extra" pigtail. The pigtail is not needed for a 1971 car because the splice is made at the fuse block not inside the column. I know this sounds confusing, but I think I finally have if figured out.

David

Rob C

Reaction score
I gotcha, had to read it twice, but I get it.

Oh the fun the factory/engineers did/er, do...

Back