• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electronic ignition conversion problem.

btceng

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just put an electronic distributor and control module on my slant 6 and it cranks but the starter doesn't disengage. I have checked my connections and it all seems right. I picked up the start position hot on the steering column. If I disconnect this wire from the ballast resistor the bendix doesn't stay engaged while cranking. What's missing? I feel like it's got to be backfeeding to the starter relay or something. This is supposed to be easy.

John

moparleo

Reaction score
ignition-modules-schematic.jpg[/FONT]

ignition-modules-schematic.jpg

Challenger.gif

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks Leo. My connections look like this except that I used a 4 wire setup and a single ballast resistor. It ran before I started this and it runs now, just the starter won't disengage the flywheel with the "start" wire hooked up like I have it. Bad ballast resistor? I figure that the ignition + wire is feeding through to the ignition start connection and making the starter think that the key is in the start position. It is, however, hooked up like the schematic.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It could be an unusual thing like your ignition switch going bad at the same time you changed over to electronic ignition. I have seen many strange things over the years. I would check your starter relay. Maybe it is sticking and it has nothing to do with your installation.

74 challenger

Reaction score
Hey John, it is a easy switch so I think maybe Todd might be on to something here. So it started with no problems before the conversion? Good ground on everything? It could be the starter relay,do you have another starter laying around so you could check it out? Hope you get it figured out.

btceng

Reaction score
Bypassed the ballast resistor and all is good. I read that you really don't have to use it with the electronic ignition. Thanks guys. It's been a while since I've been on here. Thanks Dave.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If you don't use the ballast you can and will damage the module. There is a reason Chrysler put them on the cars. If they were not needed, the bean counters would have not allowed it.

Back