• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

new to mopars: from Steve, flat plains of nebraska

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
I've been restoring cars for decades. Usually I don't spend a lot of money and am looking for street cars that I can drive, not trailer queens. I have 7 kids and each has a car that he (6 boys) and she (1 girl) has to work on to drive. My oldest and I built an MGB, but his 6'6" frame won't fit anymore. So I sold it and bought a 1972 challenger. Great car with perfect body and in pieces. No engine or trans, but everything else is there. It's a 318 3 speed car. I found a 360 out of a van, so the bell housing etc. won't fit. I traded an A body 833 which was ok, for the oil pan, front dress including power steering pump and alternator and brackets. Along with an 833 overdrive and bell housing. I'm going to freshen it up. the bell has the larger diameter bearing retainer and it's supposed to be from a small block car (I think probably a late 70's A body). I don't have the correct flywheel, clutch, pressure plate or proper shifter/linkage. I look forward to your posts to get information on what I need.
36933428_2091195090950543_2545374632391737344_n.jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard Steve, 6’ 6 will be snug fit in most any car LOL. He will definitely like this much better than the MG. Good luck with the project:thumbsup:

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Steve from Michigan. Looks like a nice solid car. Race car it its earlier life?

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
WELCOME to FEBO! Nice to see another fellow Nebraskan restoring a MOPAR!
thanks. I may need some help locating stuff. I'm pretty well versed in the state's junkyards. But Mopar is harder than other brands, almost as hard as foreign stuff. Let me know where you are located. I live in the country around the Columbus area.

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Steve from Michigan. Looks like a nice solid car. Race car it its earlier life?
it was supposed to become one. I'm cutting out the roll cage slowly (or my son was supposed to do that! But he left for the army). It's very solid, no rust at all, with rebuilt suspension that might be a little too stiff and sub frame connectors. My real need at the moment is to make sure I have the right bellhousing and flywheel. I have to put the engine in the car, put the dash in the car with the vin, and the lights front and back before I can get a Nebraska title. there is not fender tag that I have located. It may be in the boxes of stuff!

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
WELCOME to FEBO! Nice to see another fellow Nebraskan restoring a MOPAR!
I see you are from Culbertson. I grew up in Holdrege and used to go through there quite a bit so find parts. Some good yards around McCook and Wauneta, and some old cars on the north side of Stratton. A friend of mine who works at Tricity auto in Holdrege has a family yard 12 miles south of Culbertson. I've raided his place for ford stuff quite often. Once again, let me know of Mopar parts yards, if there are any. We had a pretty active Chrysler dealership in David City for many years. so there is some stuff around me.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Steve :welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Great people here who are always willing to help.
The 72 Challenger looks like a great project.
Challengers are pretty good when it comes to head room for tall drivers.

Just a thought; you may want to search for a factory adjustable driver's seat track or buy a repro unit. Even though it was not factory for 1972, it would offer some additional adjustments and be a cool addition to your build.
upload_2019-10-30_12-49-28.jpeg

Dino2 (2).gif

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
Steve :welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Great people here who are always willing to help.
The 72 Challenger looks like a great project.
Challengers are pretty good when it comes to head room for tall drivers.

Just a thought; you may want to search for a factory adjustable driver's seat track or buy a repro unit. Even though it was not factory for 1972, it would offer some additional adjustments and be a cool addition to your build.
View attachment 64610
View attachment 64611
thanks. I'll have to look at what I have. I have almost 2 interiors, one from a 73 and the much better one out of the 72. I have 2 driver's seats and one passenger seat. I'm at this point getting the car together enough to get a Nebraska title and to drive it around so I can move it easily. It's amazing how much extra came with the car. I'll be going through all of it this summer and selling off what I don't need.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I see you are from Culbertson. I grew up in Holdrege and used to go through there quite a bit so find parts. Some good yards around McCook and Wauneta, and some old cars on the north side of Stratton. A friend of mine who works at Tricity auto in Holdrege has a family yard 12 miles south of Culbertson. I've raided his place for ford stuff quite often. Once again, let me know of Mopar parts yards, if there are any. We had a pretty active Chrysler dealership in David City for many years. so there is some stuff around me.
Steve, hope you get your Challenger running soon! I have been working on my 70 challenger for about 3 years and just got it titled and have had it out on the road for the first time this year. It was sitting in a garage for about 26 years before I bought it. There are a few boneyards around here but they are short on mopars. I have had to go to car swap meets like the annual Fremont car swap meet I'm sure you heard of it. Found some good stuff there. I will let you know if I find any 72 parts that you might be able to use.

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
Steve, hope you get your Challenger running soon! I have been working on my 70 challenger for about 3 years and just got it titled and have had it out on the road for the first time this year. It was sitting in a garage for about 26 years before I bought it. There are a few boneyards around here but they are short on mopars. I have had to go to car swap meets like the annual Fremont car swap meet I'm sure you heard of it. Found some good stuff there. I will let you know if I find any 72 parts that you might be able to use.
thanks. I will try to get to Fremont this spring again. I'm told by both Brewers and Passon that I have to have an ebody shifter. but I already have the one that was on the pickup transmission. I may just try to fabricate the rods, or modify some that I can find. Ebodies are difficult to locate parts for!

Back