• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

origonal owner 73 Rallye

burdar

Reaction score
Thanks

Here is a pic of my rear stands. They just mount to the front leaf spring hanger location. The front hangers bolt to the bumper bracket holes. The wheels are 6" hard rubber that I got at Menards. I have a piece of angle iron bolted in between the rear stands. I need to do the same thing in the front just so they are a littl more sturdy.

stand2.jpg

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks. I really need a set. I've looked for a set on the web but no luck. Those look good. Do you like those casters or do you think the inflatable ones would be better considering I have to roll mine out on the dirt from time to time?

Thanks again.

burdar

Reaction score
Originally I had some small 4" wheels on the stands and it was a PITA to move the car. With these hard rubber wheels it moves easily. I have no experience with the inflatable wheels.

burdar

Reaction score
I wasn't happy with the way the rear end assembly looked so I tore it apart and redid it again.

original center section/2.76 open
001.jpg

soaked in some used up EvapoRust looking for inspection marks...

two yellow dots indicate 2.76 gears
marks001.jpg

orange dot
006.jpg

stenciled date code possibly?
marks002.jpg

Last edited:

burdar

Reaction score
I previously painted the assembly with POR-15 and cast blast paint. To save myself a bunch of work stripping all that paint, I removed the axles and backing plates, made some wooden end plugs and had the assembly sand blasted.
010512025.jpg

The center section I'm using is a 3.23 sure grip which was an available option on a 318 Challenger in 73. I darkened it and reapplied the markings I found on the original center section. The white section on the side didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped. I should have used a stencil.
010512030.jpg

After RPMing and installing a new metal dust seal the center section looks decent I think.
010512052.jpg

I had the housing powder coated but the tubes were still very pitted. I then had the housing sprayed with a high build primer. The major pitting was sanded out and finally the housing was sprayed with a semi-gloss paint. I couldn't find any new factory looking brake drums so I used the originals. They were blasted...the red band was brushed onto the face and then they were RPMed.

what I started with...
4881471-REAREND1.jpg

what it looks like now...the flash makes the drums look pink but they aren't
32212002.jpg

32212001.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
Just got the original carb back from Scott Smith.

before
img001.jpg

after
carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
I've been using acid to clean up the suspension parts. After they are rust free, they were dipped in baking soda water to neutralise the acid. Then they were either darkened or left a lighter color and RPMed.

010512062.jpg

010512064.jpg

010512065.jpg

The original idler arm was in perfect shape. It was soaked in EvapoRust and RPMed.
12612006.jpg

The LCA's had been painted with POR-15. I had them blasted...then I darkened the lower balljoint end, the rivets and the torsion bar socket. They were sprayed with Krylon battery protectant which imitates the look of cosmoline but dries completely. Then they were RPMed.
f95a7f17bf8d41ab9581f01f66bb43a7.jpg

The K-member was powdercoated. They powdercoated the front swaybar by mistake. I was going to darken it and leave it natural. I blasted the original disc brake dust shields a long time ago which ruined the galvanized finish. I stripped off the POR-15 and lightly hit them with a wire wheel...then RPMed them. Here's the finished K-member assembly...
21712001.jpg

21712005.jpg

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
The parts and assemblies look awesome. Maybe I am dense, but what do you mean by RPMed?

btceng

Reaction score
Burdar, I've said it before but the attention to detail on this car is truly unbelievable. Thanks for sharing. That K-member is a thing of beauty.

burdar

Reaction score
Some more progress to report. The rear axle assembly is now installed and the car is sitting on its rear suspension.

42112001.jpg

42112008.jpg

42112014.jpg

42112015.jpg

pagilman

Reaction score
Burdar, I can't express enough to you how much I admire your determination and hard work. Your car will be a true work of art. What are your plans with it? It will be too nice to drive.......

burdar

Reaction score
There are a few things I want to do with the car once it's done. I think the first picture I posted was infront of my grandparents house. That was the spot where all my aunts and uncles took pics of their cars. I want to go back to that house and take another picture of the car infront of it. I also want to get some pictures of it infront of the old dealership building where it was purchased. Finally, the salesman that sold my dad the car now owns the dealership. It has since moved to another town but it's still in business. I think it would be cool to get some pictures of dad and him with the car. Other then that not much. Just take it out on nice days and enjoy it.

jfreakofkorn

Reaction score
I drove out to Ohio in March to see the progress. I took the bumpers with me too. They wanted to make sure the bumpers fit the new quarters incase I decide to put the 70-72 style brakets on the car. I also took the back glass out there to double check the fitment since the full quarters had been installed.

When I was out there I ok'd a test sample of the body color. A few weeks later, the engine compartment, trunk and entire underneith side were painted. It's really starting to look good. Here are some pics.

What colour shade of gray is that....?

burdar

Reaction score
The factory paint code is JA5. Dodge called it "dark silver metallic"...Plymouth called it "silver frost metallic". I'd have to look at the extra paint I have so see what the new code is. It's a Spies Hecker Alfa Romeo color. It was a perfect match to the original paint under the jack instruction decal.

burdar

Reaction score
I just got the engine reassembled and painted so I thought I'd take a few pictures. I'll be working this week at getting the engine connected to the K-member and attaching all the other accessories.

engine007.jpg

engine003.jpg

engine004.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
I got the steering column done last night. The rebuild went well. It's not very complicated. I just disassembled everything and bead blasted the upper parts. I hand sanded the tube since it wouldn't fit in the blast cabinet. I painted most of the pieces with SEM Trim BLack. The ignition key light, upper and lower mounts and the lower steering shaft got painted with gloss black Rustoleum. I made a new lower seal out of some scrap material from a DMT gasket kit. I still have to clean up the steering wheel.
Before...
P1010038-1.jpg

After...
column51112004.jpg

Steering coupler and shaft before...
P1010032-1.jpg

Steering coupler and shaft after...
column51112002.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Hey guy . Great job. Here is a message for you guys who wonder how much a car is worth. This work is priceless to the owner/builder . This would get my vote for a $75k (from another string ) car.

If you haven't done it yet, what would you think about taking all of your before and after photos and burn them to a disc and sell for a nominal amount say $5.00 each. I think it would be great reference matrial and you could not only help a lot of guys out but also make a few bucks doing it.
People need inspiration when doing a big job and I think this is that kind of thing. Put me down for a disc if you decide to do it. You can't have too much reference material.

Last edited:

burdar

Reaction score
The amount of time and money it takes to restore a 73 is basically the same as a 70 or 71. The 73 is just worth considerably less when it's done. I'm not concerned with its monitary value at all. It was my dad's car. I remember going for rides in it when I was very young. It's priceless to me.

As far as making a CD...I highly doubt a picture CD of a 73 would sell. That being said, I'd be happy to take pictures and answer questions for anyone restoring a 72-74. I don't know know everything obviously but if I can help, I will.

I got the alternator back from Jim Ridge on Wednesday. It looks great. The original alternator was long gone. I had a 1976 casting that I tried to refinish but it didn't turn out looking very good. I was at my father-in-laws house a few years ago when he mensioned he had a couple Chrysler alternators buried on a shelf somewhere. After digging them out, I realised that one of them was a square back and had a casting date of Sept 72. How did I get that lucky? Anyway, here are some before and after pics of it.

BurrichterDarrenPre-restoration003.jpg

BurrichterDarrenPre-restoration001.jpg

PostrestorationAlternator008.jpg

PostrestorationAlternator007.jpg

PostrestorationAlternator004.jpg

Back