• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

whats missing here?

70challengerdane

Reaction score
i was putting the discs from a "72 rr" on my challenger today (in the dark of course) and when i put the calipers together i noticed some gap like the pins were too long.. am i missing something there? if i am i dont think it came with the purchase..

caliper.jpg

caliper 2.jpg

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
There's some clips that go on there that are supposed to keep tension on them. They aren't really necessary because they always deform and you have to bend them back when changing pads. If you don't bend them back all the way, they rattle. Then you have to take them off again, etc etc.

I've deleted them, as well as the splash shield, and have no problems on my car. And the rattles are gone!

70challengerdane

Reaction score
well thats good news... i have another question though, are your splindles mounted with the calipers in the front or rear? cause i figured they went in the rear after looking for some old stock disc photos... but if i turn the wheel all the way the spot where the hose mounts on the bottom is almost touching the lower control arm and it would almost certainly cut the line if it were installed... do the need to be mounted up from after all? hope not cause its all together now haha but gotta do what ya gotta do i guess

caliper bind.jpg

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
If you're using the stock E-body hoses, then YES, they do need to be in the front. They were put in front at the factory. You'll need some special hoses in order for them to not get clipped, like you've noticed.

Mine are mounted in the front, just like the factory did. I'm running the Dr. Diff bearing spacers to use the cheap 73+ rotors, and I've also upgraded to 11.75" rotors (but I still use the factory pin calipers).

70challengerdane

Reaction score
If you're using the stock E-body hoses, then YES, they do need to be in the front. They were put in front at the factory. You'll need some special hoses in order for them to not get clipped, like you've noticed.

Mine are mounted in the front, just like the factory did. I'm running the Dr. Diff bearing spacers to use the cheap 73+ rotors, and I've also upgraded to 11.75" rotors (but I still use the factory pin calipers).

ok when i looked for pictures i found them rear mounted so i thought thats how they were factory... i might as well just mount them in front.. how would i find the special hose? is it spendy? i was just gonna use those drum hose from my coronet parts car.. is that a no no?

moparleo

Reaction score
Just looking at your pictures. The contact surfaces of the caliper mounting brackets and calipers need to be cleaned of all rust etc. with a wire brush to allow free movement of the calipers when braking. No lubes. Keep everything clean and dry. When you mount the calipers to the back side of the spindle, make sure that the bleeder screws are on top or you will have problems properly bleeding your brakes because air will get trapped in the top of the calipers Very difficult to get our of the system with normal brake bleeding procedure.

Last edited:

70challengerdane

Reaction score
just for an update, got new calipers last winter and pads and hoses and wheel cylinders and have brakes now! just havent yet tested them on the blacktop!

moparleo

Reaction score
Did you also replace the mastercylinder to one designed for disc brakes ? Did you replace the proportioning valve for disc brakes ? And the backing cover plates do serve a purpose or they wouldn't waste the money. They protect the rotor from damage caused by road debris like rocks, metal, any other foreign objects. The clips are designed to compensate for pad wear. You might as well replace the rear brake line if you haven't done so yet. And use a new container of brake fluid and completely flush the lines when you go to bleed and adjust your brakes. Good braking !

70challengerdane

Reaction score
robbed the rear line off my coronet, clips came with the calipers, and i havent even thought about the splash gaurds lol but maybe ill track some down sometime. and yeah i replaced the master too :) good brake pedal as of now just havent driven it yet :)

70challengerdane

Reaction score
yes i certainly agree i almost died on my trip to reno nevada in the coronet with drums while my friend was driving. due to pointless brakes haha

Back