• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Chick with a Cuda

chickwitha_Cuda

Reaction score
TL;DR:: Hi! This is my Car! I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm doing it anyway!! Enjoy my misadventures!

Long version-- Hello Everyone!

This is kind of my introductory post, and unofficial journal of restoration... Part-time lurker, but it's past time I start participating. I'm a bit late to the party. Little history-- after 2 years of looking, saving, and trying to prepare; I purchased my 1974 Barracuda 318 in February 2021. I found it in Illinois, the gentleman bought it to restore/flip, but decided to let it go and use the funds on bigger projects. He only had it about 3 months so all restoration/modifications had been done by the previous owner who had it for at least 20-30 years... I'm a die-hard AMC fan, but wanted my first project car to be something that was a bit easier to find parts for. The 'Cuda has been one of my favorite cars since I was a little girl and one i always just assumed was financially out of reach. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to have been able to own this car so much earlier in my life than I anticipated.

I'm already well into restoration and modifications of my own this past year, so I'll break things down into a couple different posts in this thread...

In this first post you can see when I first went to see the car and when she got home. A few of the details I knew and determined when I first bought the car::
Motor is a non-number's matching 318. Mainly stock, it had an Edelbrock intake manifold, and Edlebrock carb that was WAY too big for it. Missing kickdown linkage.
727 Torqueflite transmission
7.25 Rear end
A/C car
Minimal rust. Few holes smaller than a silver dollar. ((Floor pan, battery tray, etc...)) No major bondo as far as anyone can tell with a magnet. Rust damage around the rear windshield.
Front and back bumper damage... ((Like they backed into, or drove into the garage wall... Super minor.)) Badly repaired damage on the grill.
Driver's seat badly cracked and split. Foam is pretty squashed. All other seats in good condition.
Dash badly cracked and the previous owner badly drilled speaker wire over the missing speakers.
Original radio replaced with cheap cassette player
Paint was a backyard job that looks amazing at about 10ft but as a professional graphic artist drives me crazy with color discrepancies, wobbly lines, and terrible color matching....

IMG_6448.PNG

IMG_6449.PNG

IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6451.PNG

IMG_6454.PNG

IMG_6456.PNG

IMG_6457.jpg

IMG_6458.PNG

Last edited:

chickwitha_Cuda

Reaction score
AUGUST 2021 -- New Suspension

This was the biggest modification I've done so far and the one that needed done the most. Full front suspension replacement and new disk brakes.

Let me stop and first say how much I love and appreciate the friends I've made in the North GA Mopar Club. The people have been so welcoming and the old pros have been so understanding and patient with me in my stumbling around. I'm constantly trying to learn but with no experience, I have very little context to understand the why's of the how's. But everyone lends a hand and deals with my endless questions.

One friend, Steve, Was instrumental in replacing the master cylinder a few weeks prior to doing the suspension so I could get the car safe to drive. But driving was like sitting in a tin can on a wooden rollercoaster... Everything bounced and rattled and banged around... Driving over a road reflector was like hitting a child-sized pot hole!

So for my birthday weekend, my friend Lee opened his garage to me to use his lift and with the help of several others, I was able to rip out the old stock suspension and shock and completely replace with a brand new QA1 Handling suspension system. New K-member, pitman and idler arms. I replaced the power steering with a new Borgeson steering box and fluid pump. All new Wilwood brakes and was finally able to upgrade to a set of Keystone Klassic Wheels!!

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 287

heminut

Reaction score
Well, that is a great start! It sounds like you have a definite plan on where you want to go with this!

Welcome from New Mexico! There is a lot of combined knowledge on this forum and plenty of folks willing to share their hard earned knowledge. If your friends in the North GA Mopar Club get stumped, I'm sure there are those on here who can help. I'm looking forward to seeing your Cuda evolve.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Looking good keep up the pics and updates…..I have been thinking about the borgeson steering box for awhile….

chickwitha_Cuda

Reaction score
SEPT- OCT 2021

Couple other small projects over a few months. Both practical safety and just vanity. Replaced the normal headlamps with Oracle Halo bulbs and LED bulbs for the tail lights. Wanted to brighten everything up for better visibility. I also learned about having to upgrade relays and that the Hazard relay is not the same as the turn signal relay... ((Electrical systems are NOT my forte...)) I installed the headlamps just as is because it was getting dark and I needed to not spend the night in the Summit parking lot... But the plan is to set up the wiring so the halos will light with the ignition like daytime running lights, and only the LED's will turn on/off with the switch.

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_8211.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.14.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 6.19.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 6.19.45 PM.png

IMG_1408.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome! It looks like you off to a good start.Brakes tires exhaust and suspension.they are a wearing parts. Best to always address first. Body and paint.The ding: A good PDR PRO can work it out. If the paint is enamel and enough coats of paint.A good cut and buff may work the defects out.You might like it.The cars of this era where not perfect. Less work may make it look More like original.Depend on what you you going for. Drive train: Good hot ignition,carb or Fuel injection. mated with a little more cam.not much. Would make it run lickety-split .Thanks for post you achievement.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome from Panama & congrats on finding what seems to be a decent project , you are making progress which is great !
I have a number of good friends into Mopars in the area near Georgia , sounds like you have a few good friends to help as well .

cudaragtop

Reaction score
Welcome!
Nice score on the car and you're off to a great start.

70chall440

Reaction score
Welcome from WA state. As most everyone is saying, great project car. One thing I am sure you have experienced is that every Mopar person (car person) has his or her own likes, dislikes and opinions and this forum like them all are full of them. You appear to have a solid plan or perhaps better said, a good sense of direction in that you addressed the suspension, brakes and lighting out of the gate. Many people get very wrapped up in what to do and when to do it, you are following the path that many of as youths took, fix what needs to be fixed and modify or change what you feel you need to.

Many of us have had E bodies for many years (I think I got my first one in 78 and currently have 2), so there is a lot of experience here. Some of us are into restorations while others like me are more about restomods while others are all about race cars, in other words there is a good mix here.

Have you down loaded the Factory Service Manual (FSM) yet? If not, you should as there is a wealth of knowledge in it. You can get the 72 Chassis service manual from here (same as a 73 and 74)

Service Manuals – MyMopar

I would also get the 70 and 71 manuals, while there is some differences between the 70, 71 and 72-74 these manuals will all be very helpful.

Good luck and do not hesitate to post a question or even a want ad should you need something.

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome:aboard.
I hope you addressed the kick-down linkage. If not, do not drive it until you do. The kickdown lever controls the transmission fluid pressure inside the trans. Without it you will damage the transmission.
Great start on your project.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Very nice upgrade on those Oracle's:thumbsup:. I like your plan of attack.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Nice looking Barracuda and congrats on finally finding your car. Looks like you are well underway with the project. Love the color.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Isn't it every man's dream to have a Chick that comes with a Cuda....

Back