• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ma's `cuda. A long time coming.

03HDFB

Reaction score
Nice Work Mike....Its coming together nicely.....So Happy For YA!

mmissile

Reaction score
Just a little update. We're finishing and aligning some of the rear suspension, and I ordered the evaporator kit for the A/C. I need to get the pieces in the car to finish the water pipes from the engine and route various future lines and wiring. Lots of the cars in the shop, and mine is on a "when it's not interfering" basis. Works out great for both of us.

Merry Christmas!!! and Happy Holidays to all.

Our fuzzy-kids....waiting for some snow and Santa....

n53ss4.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
Okay, back to work on the car after a few weeks. Ernie started the 100% stainless exhaust system build. What you see was built in the 2 1/2 hours we were there. He always amazes me with his fitting and welding of this stuff...virtually no air-gaps

zspv7l.jpg

2ro52mp.jpg

1yk6rk.jpg

oh1o1u.jpg

fve9ll.jpg

xfxais.jpg

14awso5.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
Thanks again. It'll probably be a couple weeks before he finishes the exhaust, as he does his regular and most distant customer's work daily. It gives me more time to plan the build sequence and parts. We're getting close to being done on the underside. Next, I would guess I'll be doing the under hood basics, and wiring it up for power. I don't feel the need to hurry any of this, as I'd like to do as few things as possible...more than once/twice. So far, some basic stuff has escaped the thought process, and had to be re-engineered and done. This is my first foray away from old-school type cars, and if this goes fairly smooth....I won't go back.

moparleo

Reaction score
You are a very lucky guy to have the time, place and have a friend who is as detail oriented as they come. The quality of this build is second to none. We love the pictures and commentary. Keep it up. I am sure that you are giving some members the confidence to take the plunge into their projects.

mmissile

Reaction score
[big smile] Thanks. I've been doing this mopar-only stuff for 40+ years. It's taken nearly that long to find trustworthy folks in every category of building a project. Lots of trial and error with different people over the years, has resulted in my having very good friends who happen to be very skilled at their particular chosen fields. Make no mistake....I have spent uncountable hours working on these cars, and as I've gotten older and more experienced, I've found that skilled professionals can save you lots of money and time. The time becomes worth more than money as you age. I've also become quite good at my "visions", as I think they should be....and assemble stuff many times to get what I finish with[I've become very anal]. I enjoy sharing this stuff, and only hope it helps some folks with something.

Last edited:

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
[big smile] Thanks. I've been doing this mopar-only stuff for 40+ years. It's taken nearly that long to find trustworthy folks in every category of building a project. Lots of trial and error with different people over the years, has resulted in my having very good friends who happen to be very skilled at their particular chosen fields. Make no mistake....I have spent uncountable hours working on these cars, and as I've gotten older and more experienced, I've found that skilled professionals can save you lots of money and time. The time becomes worth more than money as you age. I've also become quite good at my "visions", as I think they should be....and assemble stuff many times to get what I finish with[I've become very anal]. I enjoy sharing this stuff, and only hope it helps some folks with something.

This my friend hits the nail on the head. Although not for as many years as you stated. lol...
"vision" is what I have for mine as well and the "very anal" because I want what I want no matter how many adjustments it takes to get there.

Thank you for your continued post up of progress.
It is looking excellent.

Mike

mmissile

Reaction score
Well, the system is tacked together and hanging up to the rear axle. As soon as the tips arrive, it'll be to the back/valance. The headers will be ceramic-coated, the finish tig welding done, and the whole stainless system hand rubbed with fine scotchbrite. The amount of measuring and checking level and body points that he does is amazing. It's very symmetric, in an offset body/drivetrain.

2iqfk78.jpg

flg5k1.jpg

dh7q01.jpg

i40kma.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
I was going thru some old photos, and found a bunch of old 35mm stuff. Here's the car in 1996. It had sat for 10 years, after my dad had started the "1st resto". This is after retrieving it from my Dad's place. It had become quite the mess.:sad2: I started over completely, and we cut off the NOS quarters that were brazed on. I bought lots of metal[didn't need a bunch visually] but I didn't want to be chasing rust on down the road.

2gwi4iu.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
Dropped off the headers, so we can finish the exhaust. Bill and I also installed the Vintage Air evaporator/heater box. I insisted we take it out a few times to make corrections and mount it more securely. I made the black marks on the outside of the cowl per instructions, then went about doing it my way. The mounting holes were way different actual location than the instructions, and we welded nuts to the back side on the supplied brackets for mounting the box. Everything is located correctly now, and bolted in with thin rubber between the brackets and cowl, to prevent any possible squeaking. The kit came with self-tappers to mount everything. NFG! We notched the front frame-rail flange to clear the alternator and tig welded the edges back together. We also had to notch the end of the right frame-rail to make clearance for the factory "new" Challenger/Charger condenser/trans-cooler fittings. I'm trying to use as much "new car" stuff as possible. Now comes all the plumbing for the heat/A/C. This is all the stuff I've been dreading. It's been fun up to this point. Now for my opinion about the parts... I think most of the Vintage Air stuff looks "cheesy", and I'll be seeking other trim and vent options. The actual heater/evaporator unit looks okay, but it's nothing like the sturdiness of the original stuff. I've used their stuff before, and basicly only used the box inside.

2mzm70g.jpg

you can see where the black marks are, and where the holes ended up being.[blue spot] the other hole is to the right the dipstick tube, and not close to the mark, either. Notice the nice hole locations on the new cowl-plate for hoses and bolts. GRRRR
2i8xh11.jpg

eukq5g.jpg

8y9v2o.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
Gotta rebuild the column sometime soon. Have the original black one, and another green one. I'll be doing the original in green. I have to order all the parts.....

2vudhjt.jpg

mmissile

Reaction score
Making headway. I'm rebuilding and painting the column myself, thanks to info from another member[Code3]. Waiting on parts and paint mixing.

k6o0j.jpg

2eoik1x.jpg

Last edited:
Back