• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ma's `cuda. A long time coming.

mmissile

Reaction score
This is the start of my resto-mod project. My mother/dad bought this N-code, `cuda ragtop in Jan of 1972, from a bank repo-auction. It's an original F8/F8 car with a white top and stripe delete. The motor had been frozen[ice], and the car never ran cool. Finally, my father got into the engine, and found the lifter valley had heaved, and one cylinder was cracked. He installed a 71 440 and TF out of a 71 New Yorker that caught fire. My mother drove the car till about 76, then it came apart for a resto. Fast forward to 1993, and my mother passed away and left me the car. It sat for many more years, and I was gathering parts and getting stuff restored. Lots of projects kept getting in the way and the ragtop was constantly being back-burnered. About 7 years ago, I had a friend in financial trouble do the the body resto. I didn't need the car done[anytime soon]...but he needed to keep his house. So, here we are now....and I'm finally gonna do the car the way I've always wanted it done. This entire build is dedicated to mom........she loved this car more than anything. It'll be F8/F8, white top, 6.4/NAG1, big brakes, upgraded underpinnings, and still appear like it did in the 70's[except for the 18" wheels]. I'm sure I'll be looking for answers and opinions at times, and applying stuff that sits right in my idea of the build. Thanks for the welcomes.:wave:

2s1nmlu.jpg

290wweh.jpg

24ni8lu.jpg

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
Very, very, very NICE!!!. Sounds like your mom must of been a pretty cool person loving a car like this.

dfrazz

Reaction score
Great project with an even greater backstory. Looking forward to watching your progress

mmissile

Reaction score
I've taken the 6.4 apart... and painted[block/heads], powder-coated[everything aluminum], and plated[bolts] ALL black. I should have it back together this weekend with pictures. Next will be assembling the new NAG1 and accessories to the engine and k-frame.

Last edited:

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Nice , I like the color. I had a F4 70 back in 77. It was not my favorite color back then so I painted it. Wish I had it now though. That is going to be a sweet ride.

mmissile

Reaction score
Got the engine mostly together, and attached to the k-frame. Took LOTS of messaging the motor mount on one side to fit the 6.4[don't know about 5.7-6.1 engines]. Gotta attach the steering box, trans, starter, and exhaust manifolds to be ready for the my fab guy to get it into the body[trans clearance/mounting type stuff]. Anyways, here's what it looks like at this point......

2f0abo4.jpg

t0otus.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
I am not sure about the 6.4 but I know that there are problems with the valve seat inserts coming out on the 5.7. Which of course causes mucho damage. Just some thing to check on.

mmissile

Reaction score
Got the engine/trans in the hole. Far less massaging to fit the NAG1, than I expected. I'm going in for a knee replacement on Monday, so I'm letting my friend/fabricator handle a bunch of stuff for the next couple months. He's building the trans cross-member, welding in sub-frame connectors, and a XV front frame-rail connector. I also have all the rear axle and suspension stuff ready to install.

2aj6nnk.jpg

p0o4j.jpg

10fw9k2.jpg

1z1rbtc.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
Got the trans mount 90% done, and now have to get all the shifter stuff clearance...along with some minor tunnel/trans mods. I'm also trying to decide on hydro-boost, or a dual diaphragm booster for the brakes.

2ahvehd.jpg

15mza1i.jpg

Last edited:

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Go with the Hydro-boost set up. Always the same, firm pedal feel regardless of vacuum.

She's lookin good.

X2 on Hydro-boost setup.
I installed it on my 74 with very little issue and like the pedal feel as well.

mmissile

Reaction score
Thanks....have the hydro-boost setup, but have had a couple people say they don't like the feel as much as the dual vacuum setup. I like the theory/principle of the hydro-boost better, anyways.

oldshack

Reaction score
New to this whole forum, but that Challenger is awesome now, and will be absolutely awesome when done. Did you ever contemplate forced induction with the 6.4?

Back